With flexible start and end times, we empower employees to skip rush hour and develop a working pattern that suits their needs.
Join a rapidly expanding, award-winning digital agency delivering elegant, forward thinking, technical solutions to a vast range of exciting startups right through to FTSE 100 companies. Work for one of the UK’s most creative and trusted agencies. We are currently seeking an enthusiastic and talented senior backend engineer to become an integral part of our growing, young and ambitious team based in the centre of York.
You will be joining a team of more than 50 working in a friendly and informal environment, on both client projects and our own products. The ideal candidate will fit seamlessly into what is a very ambitious and growing agency.
You will be working on a wide range of projects from all different sectors, from Health and Fitness through to shared economy platforms.
As a backend engineer you will contribute to the whole software development lifecycle - from initial architecting, through development of features and automated tests, to the configuration of deployment pipelines and hosting environments. You will help others within the team and take an active part in ensuring the project's success. You will primarily work with PHP and Laravel, but will be excited to expand your expertise in other backend technologies as required - we have a few smaller projects developed with technologies such as Golang, AWS Lambda, Cloudflare Workers, Node.js - it’s important to pick the right tool for the job.
We care about the code quality, good practices and software development principles - SOLID isn’t just a keyword for us. We value quality and collaboration, therefore we follow the code review process on all changes through the project and make sure that unit tests are written as part of the features. We stay at the cutting edge of technologies, PHP 8 and Laravel 8 are already within our toolbox. We love automation - you will find Github Action CI pipelines integrated into our workflows and Teamcity CD pipelines automatically building and deploying applications to AWS.
Everybody in the company has a say in how we work, so you need to be able to work with others across disciplines, collaborating with designers, other engineers, QA, and project managers so that we can deliver to the highest standards.
You’ll also have opportunities to grow and specialise. We want you to be passionate about your own work and the impact it can have. You’ll need a desire to learn and grow with your role and help others along the way.
The company is happy to speak with experienced professionals having the drive to succeed. No qualifications are essential to this position, but an ability to demonstrate your work is.
We are accepting UK based candidates only, please only apply if you meet this criteria.
Salary is highly competitive and negotiable depending on experience and skills.
We are looking for someone who has:
- Proficiency in OO PHP 7+ and Laravel 6+
- Proficiency in database design, writing SQL queries and optimisation techniques (MySQL in particular)
- Strong familiarity with object oriented design patterns
- Knowledge and experience of unit and integration testing
- Knowledge and experience of system design
- API design and development experience, with a focus on REST principles
- Ability and proven experience integrating with a variety of external third party services
- Ability to estimate technical effort required to design and implement new functionality
- Ability to debug and fix complex issues
- Ability to work on large codebases with minimal documentation
- Experience using git
- Experience using unix (desktop / server admin) - although you’re free to use any operating system you like for local development
- Ability and enthusiasm to learn new technologies when required
- Good communication skills, ability to explain technical concepts in a meaningful way to non-technical colleagues
- Self-sufficiency: initiative, time management, multi-tasking
- Commercial awareness - you understand that you’re spending other people’s money to solve business critical problems, not geeking out for the sake of it
It would be great if you have used:
32-35 days holiday
Our generous holiday allowance includes up to 2 full weeks over Christmas.
All our employees receive competitive salaries and have the opportunity to take part in our share scheme after three years of continuous service. We believe we do best when our entire team is well compensated and shares in our success.
Support to grow your career
Your on-going development is extremely important to us. To help you build new skills and capabilities, we offer regular training events, lunch and learns and support employees in attending conferences and events.
Paid Volunteer Day
All of our employees are eligible for a paid day to volunteer with a charity or for a cause of their choice. We can support in connecting you with opportunities to use your skills to help good causes.
Enhanced Maternity and Paternity Provision
To provide further support to new parents we offer an enhanced maternity and paternity package.